Visa Information


Visa information:

Participants from certain countries or regions may be required to obtain a visa to attend the ICMA 2017 held in Japan. It is suggested that the participants check with the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in their countries on whether they need a visa. The participants can also visit the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan at


A Brief Introduction to Japanese Visa and the Procedure for Visa Application


Based on the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, in principle a foreign national wishing to enter Japan is required to have a valid passport issued by the government of their own country with a visa issued by the Government of Japan.

The visa indicated that it is appropriate for the foreign national to enter and stay in Japan. Furthermore, holding a visa is only one of the requirements for entering Japan and does not guarantee that the holder of the visa will be able to enter Japan.

Visas are issued in the Japanese embassy or consulate in the foreign country. Visas cannot be obtained after arriving in Japan.

II.Landing Permission:

The immigration officers check whether or not the foreign national wishing to enter Japan meets all the requirements for entering Japan stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. The requirements include having a valid passport and visa, the purpose of entering Japan, and the planned length of the stay. If the requirements are met the immigration officer grants the foreign national "landing permission" (which is then stamped in the passport of the foreign national).

The "landing permission" stamp displays the "status of residence" showing the activities, etc. the foreign national can engage in while in Japan and the "period of stay" which is the length of time that the foreign national can stay in Japan.

The visa immediately becomes invalid once "landing permission" has been granted (Note) , and the "landing permission" becomes the legal basis for the stay of the foreign national in Japan.

(Note)Multiple visas remain valid until the date of their expiration. People commonly talk about "switching the type of visa" and "extending a visa" but in law these actions equate to a "change of status of residence" and an "extension of period of stay" respectively, and applications are accepted by the Ministry of Justice (the Regional Immigration Bureau).

To apply for a short-term stay

(1)Make sure you finish your registration payment for your paper.

(2)You may need an official invitation letter and application forms (招へい理由書、申請人名簿、身元保証書、滞在予定表) from us.

  • Your full name in passport and your accepted paper ID (7*****)
  • Personal information: nationality, gender, date of birth, occupation
  • Passport number
  • Contact information: mailing address, telephone number, and fax number. We will send you an official invitation letter and all requested documents as soon as possible
  • A scanned copy (in PDF or JPEG) of the page of your passport that shows your passport number, nationality, full name, gender, date of birth, and other personal information

Paying the visa fee:

Fees must be paid for the issuance of visas. The fees are about 3,000 yen for a single-entry visa, 6,000 yen for a double-entry or multiple-entry visa, and 700 yen for a transit visa. Fees are collected in the currency of the country (territory) of which the Embassy / Consulate General is located.

Depending on the purpose of your travel and your nationality, fees may not be required or may be a different amount.

If the visa is not issued, no fees are required.

The above message is quoted from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.

The Robotics Society of Japan Kagawa University Kagawa University The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Japan Society for Precision Engineering The Society of Instrument and Control Engineers Harbin Engineering University University of Electro-Communications University of Electronic Science and Technology of China Changchun University of Science and Technology